Caleb Plant Welcomes Canelo Challenge, Five Boxing Stories You Might Have Missed

It's been another busy week in the world of boxing
08:59, 21 May 2021

Sick of the Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder and Oleksandr Usyk merry-go-round yet? AJ and the Gypsy King’s all-British unification might have been sensationally rocked this week but that’s not all that’s happened in boxing. From charitable donations to Canelo’s latest challenge, here are five boxing stories that might have gone under the radar...

Caleb Plant Welcomes Canelo Challenge

After stopping Billy Joe Saunders in Texas earlier this month, Mexican superstar Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez turned his attention to Caleb Plant. 

The American is the IBF super-middleweight title holder, and is therefore the last piece of the 168 lb puzzle for Canelo having snatched Saunders’ WBO strap, meaning that a clash between these two would leave the winner as the undisputed champion.

Now, Plant has confirmed he welcomes the challenge, telling ESPN, "I've been saying it's what I want, and I know it's a lot that goes into making a megafight other than just two fighters wanting to get in there, but as far as I'm concerned, we can get it going."

"It's Canelo, so that's who it is, but it's not about Canelo. It's about the belts. It's about my journey. It's about what I want to accomplish. I'm not focused on him and what he's got going on. I'm focused on what I've got going on."

Chris Eubank Donates £10,000 Won Betting Against BJS To Charity

Speaking of Billy Joe Saunders’ loss to Canelo, Chris Eubank Jr has donated £10,000 to charity after placing a bet that his British rival would suffer a stoppage loss to the pound-for-pound star.

Eubank Jr, who lost to Saunders on points in 2014, pledged his winnings to Brighton's Rockinghorse Children's Charity, which will fund new equipment.

Chris_Eubank_Jr1jpeg

"I was delighted to be able to donate £10,000 to Rockinghorse as for me, it's extremely important to support charities close to home," said the 31-year-old.

"Rockinghorse do an amazing job and completely rely on donations to provide life-saving equipment and support for sick babies, children and young people throughout Sussex. This donation is the start of a long-term commitment from me to support Rockinghorse."

Jake Paul Signs With Showtime Sports

YouTuber Jake Paul has put pen to paper on a new promotional deal with Showtime Sports, who will serve as the promoter for his next fight after he previously competed under the Triller banner.

Paul has racked up three wins as a professional boxer, albeit all against men who had never boxed before, and, whether people like it or not, the American has become something of a cash-cow in the world of boxing, so it makes perfect sense that Showtime would get in on the action.

“We love Jake,” Triller boss Ryan Kavanaugh told ESPN on Paul’s departure. “I wish Jake the absolute best. We had our two fights with him. I think for us, we’ve gone the distance with him that we can go. We won’t be doing any more Jake fights.”

There’s no word on Paul’s next opponent but his brother, Logan, will face Floyd Mayweather Jr on June 6. 

New Boxing Channel Fightzone Makes Debut On Friday Night

An ambitious new fight channel that promises to be the “people’s champion” of boxing coverage makes its debut on Friday night.

Fightzone TV, sponsored by Betfred, will kick off with the English lightweight title fight between Myron Mills (14-1) and Lucas Ballingall (13-1) and has plans to stage weekly Friday fight nights. Speaking in a press release, General Manager of Fightzone TV, Jim McMunny, said, “Our commitment is to deliver 50 events per year, 200 live fights, and give exposure to over 250 boxers, all on one platform for just £4.99 per month. 

“We believe that Fightzone TV will become the People’s Champion of boxing, delivering first-class events, showcasing new talent, and delivering an affordable place to watch the sport that fight fans love.”

Mikey Garcia Turns Attention To Gervonta Davis vs Mario Barrios

Four-weight champion Mikey Garcia hasn’t given up on his ambitions to fight boxing legend Manny Pacquiao but the American is aware he can’t wait around for the Filipino forever, having been out of action for more than a year now, and has turned his attention to the winner of next week’s clash between Gervonta Davis and Mario Barrios.

PA 37799554jpg

"He [Davis] has a fight with Mario Barrios next," Garcia told YouTuber SNOWQUEENLA.​​​​​

"That’s a very good match-up.

"It’s not going to be an easy match for Tank [Davis]. I think Tank is a terrific fighter, but moving up to 140 and fighting a big guy like Barrios is not an easy task.

"But if things go well on his end and that’s an available fight, sure I’ll entertain that offer. I can probably get a fight against him."

x
Suggested Searches:
Manchester United
Liverpool
Manchester City
Marcus Rashford
Premier League
Sportsman HQ
2nd Floor Queens House
St Lincoln Square
Manchester M2 5HT
0161 507 9888 (8am - 10pm)
editorial@thesportsman.com
We will not ask you to provide any personal information when using The Sportsman website. You may see advertisement banners on the site, and if you choose to visit those websites, you will accept the terms and conditions and privacy policy applicable to those websites. The link below directs you to our Group Privacy Policy, and our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email at: DataProtection@Betfred.com

All original material is Copyright © 2019 by The Sportsman Communications Ltd.
Other material is copyright their respective owners.