Arguably the finest fighter in the world finally has a fight pencilled in for 2020, Floyd Mayweather Jr is teasing something big in Japan and the heavyweights… well let’s face it, there’s never a dull week where that division is concerned. Here are five of the week’s boxing stories you might have missed...
Canelo vs Callum Smith Lined Up For December
Multi-weight world champion Canelo’s hunt for an opponent in 2020 has taken the best part of the year but it seems the Mexican superstar has finally found his man in Liverpool’s WBA super-middleweight title holder Callum Smith, according to ESPN Mexico. The duo have reportedly “reached an agreement” to fight in December, likely on the 18th or 19th, at the AT&T Stadium in Texas.
Smith’s promoter Eddie Hearn has insisted a deal is not set yet and is urging caution but that hasn’t stopped Canelo’s stablemate Ryan Garcia from getting giddy, tweeting that he wants a place on the undercard. Garcia’s fight with another Brit, Luke Campbell, was postponed earlier this week with Campbell testing positive for Covid. The fight is expected to be pushed further into December, meaning it’s primed for a place on the Canelo vs Smith undercard.
It’s like Christmas has come early.
Mayweather Teases Another Exhibition In Japan
He’s doing it again. Everytime you think Floyd Mayweather might actually be content in retirement for once, he goes and seemingly teases another batsh*t exhibition match. The 50-0 boxer posted a video on social media earlier this week stating he’ll be returning to Japan in 2021 for a “big event” at the Tokyo Dome, the same city he fought and won an exhibition match in against kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa (who Mayweather made cry, don’t forget) on New Years Eve in 2018.
Speaking on Instagram, Mayweather said, “Tokyo, Japan. I am coming back in 2021. I know the Olympics are in Japan in 2021 but me, myself, Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather and my team will be doing something big in Tokyo Dome. I want to say thank you for treating me good and treating my team good. Japan, I am on my way."
Teofimo Lopez Has A Big Fan In Mike Tyson
No fighter can claim to have had the same meteoric rise to superstardom this year as lightweight sensation Teofimo Lopez, who stunned the world by triumphing over the great Vasyl Lomachenko in Las Vegas last month. This sort of sudden ascent to the top doesn’t go unnoticed either and former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is certainly impressed with the 23-year-old and even gave his fellow Brooklynite some solid career advice.
"Spectacular”, he told ESPN, “He beat the man to beat, now he's the man to beat. If I'm Lopez now, I want Gervonta [Davis] and Shakur [Stevenson]. Both in one year. Instead of one, then [the other] three years later if he's still champ. Fight guys you know will be hot now."
Tyson Fury Reflects On Wilder Situation
It’s been the best part of two weeks since Deontay Wilder made the collective boxing world stand up in unison and say “You what, mate?” when he sensationally posted a video insisting that Fury had cheated when he beat the American in their rematch in February. The 35-year-old’s comments have been ridiculed by almost everyone - except Tyson Fury himself, who says he’s worried about his heavyweight rival.
Speaking on This Morning, ‘The Gypsy King’ said, "I'm worried for Wilder's mental health. There has to be a point where you accept defeat, move on. He's coming out with ludicrous statements. I'm only a phone call away and if I can help in any way then I would give him the best advice I can."
Dillian Whyte Says He Doubts Alexander Povetkin Has Covid-19
Dillian Whyte is chomping at the bit to get back in the ring and gain revenge over Alexander Povetkin after suffering a shock knockout against the Russian in September. The rematch between the two was scheduled for November 21 but was forced back until January 30 after Povetkin tested positive for Covid. Now, Whyte says that he’s dubious over Povetkin’s claims of having caught coronavirus and thinks it’s just an excuse to postpone the second fight for even longer.
Speaking to Sky Sports, ‘The Body Snatcher’ said, "I personally don't think he's got Covid. I think he just needed more time to get ready because he took a lot of damage in the first fight. He took a lot of time off. Though I got stopped, I went straight back to training."