Ever since Conor McGregor lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 last month, talk has been on-going about the next step ‘The Notorious’ will take in the fight game.
Many speculated that he could actually hang up the gloves, or perhaps lock horns with Khabib again, while there’s the possibility of a clash with Tony Ferguson, or even the completion of the trilogy with Nate Diaz.
However, it now appears that the Irishman will return to the octagon to fight Donald Cerrone.
That’s if Cerrone latest Instagram post is to be believed.
“Just waiting on him! I know a guy” - posted Cerrone alongside a picture of himself and McGregor, side-by-side.
Cerrone, aka ‘Cowboy’, broke a UFC record over the weekend, as his submission victory over Mike Perry propelled his win tally to a whopping 21, more than any other fighter in the history of the organisation.
The above post follows these quotes that Cerrone made after the Perry win in relation to who his next opponent will be, and certainly adds fuel to the fire.
”There is someone, they already came up and told me.
“There’s your clickbait. They told me the who for once in my life first. 155.
"It’s very exciting. Guy’s very exciting. You’ll like it. You’ll all like it,”
McGregor has yet to respond to either those quotes or the Instagram post, but we’re sure he’ll construct his own message sooner or later.
The 30-year-old is currently awaiting the outcome of a trial concerning the post-match brawl at the Khabib fight, with a decision set to be reached on December 10.