Oscar De La Hoya is talking about his rumoured ring return, Dillian Whyte could face another top heavyweight while he waits for the Alexander Povetkin rematch, and those YouTubers are at it again. Here are five boxing stories you might have missed this week…
De La Hoya Says Golovkin Would Be An “Easy” Comeback Fight
Six weight world champion Oscar De La Hoya, 47, has been vocal about a return to the ring and says he’d “easily take apart” two-time middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, who fights Kamil Szeremeta in Hollywood tonight.
Golovkin, 35, was clearly unimpressed with De Hoya’s brash comments, stating that a meeting between the two could be fatal for the Golden Boy promoter telling AFP, "You know how dirty his mouth is. Everything involving Golovkin for him is a nightmare. Let me put it this way - If I got an opportunity to legally kill a person in the ring, I might seize it."
Canelo Relishing Opportunity To Fight In The UK In The Future
Mexican superstar Canelo takes on Liverpool’s WBA (Super) super-middleweight champion Callum Smith this weekend in San Antonio, his sixth opponent to hail from these shores in a 56-fight professional career, but the 30-year-old has never actually fought on British soil.
Speaking to iFLTV, the four-division champion said on fighting in Britain in the future, "I would love that, I would love that. I've always dreamt about fighting in the UK, so this would be a dream come true if that happens." Smith is set to be Canelo’s toughest British test to date - who knows maybe we’ll see a rematch at Anfield in 2021.
Dillian Whyte Could Face Alternative Opponent If Povetkin Isn’t Ready For Rematch
Eddie Hearn says that Dillian Whyte could face another opponent as he waits for an opportunity at revenge in a rematch against Alexander Povetkin who stopped him back in October. The rematch had been set for January 30 and previously November 21 before the Russian tested positive for Covid, which he is still recovering from.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Hearn said, "Povetkin does need more time recovering from Covid but not too long. We expect him to have a four-week delay.
"When I conveyed that news to Whyte it didn't go down very well!
"His first question was: 'Who else can we fight?'
"'Can we fight Luis Ortiz, Deontay Wilder, Andy Ruiz Jr?'
"The answer is: 'Yes any of those would be fantastic'.
"But he does want, more than anything, to avenge the defeat that he suffered at the hands of Povetkin. That is on his mind. So I said to him: 'I think you should wait [to fight Povetkin]'."
Dereck Chisora Eyeing Up Joe Joyce Clash
Joe Joyce is on the verge of a world title shot after stopping Daniel Dubois in a huge all-British heavyweight clash to take the no.2 spot in the WBO rankings but Dereck Chisora’s manager David Haye believes ‘the Juggernaut’ could be tempted into a potentially lucrative bout with ‘Del Boy.’
"Possibly Joe Joyce," Haye told Sky Sports. "Joe Joyce looked great the other night against Daniel Dubois.
"I'm sure Joyce's team would be salivating at that opportunity. That's a great fight out there."
Jake Paul Says He’s Offered Conor McGregor $50m To Fight Him In A Boxing Match
YouTuber Jake Paul, 2-0 (2), has continued his calling out of MMA legend Conor ‘Notorious’ McGregor for a boxing match, echoing his brother Logan’s own pursuit of combat sport royalty with Floyd Mayweather, and claims he’s offered McGregor, who’s only professional boxing outing was a defeat to Mayweather, $50m for the privilege.
Speaking on a video he uploaded, smoking a cigar and holding an Irish flag aloft, Paul said, “My team sent you a $50million offer this morning. $50million cash, proof of funds, the biggest fight offer you’ve ever been offered, but you’re scared to fight me Conor.
‘You’re ducking me because you don’t want to lose to a f**king YouTuber. You’re 0 and one as a boxer, I’m two and 0 as a boxer.”