From quarrelling managers and promoters, to more members of boxing’s royalty clamouring to return to the ring, here’s your round up of the week’s boxing stories that you might have missed...
Katie Taylor vs Amanda Serrano Is On Insists Eddie Hearn
The highly-anticipated blockbuster showdown between seven-weight world champion Amanda Serrano and undisputed lightweight champion Katie Taylor is happening according to Taylor’s promoter Eddie Hearn.
Earlier in the week it appeared that the clash might be on the ropes, with Serrano’s manager and trainer Jordan Maldonado claiming he would not accept a pay cut for his fighter because of Covid-19. Maldonado explained that Serrano was offered only 50% of her purse because there’d be no revenue from ticket sales, with no live audience.
Hearn was swift to rebuke this on DAZN’s Ak And Barak show, calling Maldonado’s claims “absolute rubbish” and added that “there was absolutely no offer.”
He went on to say: "The fight is on. It's no secret that we don’t have a crowd anymore and that fight was supposed to take place in front of 15,000 people at Manchester Arena on the same card as Dillian Whyte vs. Alexander Povetkin.
"All of a sudden, all of that revenue that would have been generated from that crowd doesn’t exist anymore. I spoke to Lou DiBella (Serrano's promoter) and said, 'Listen, if you want to box now with no crowds, maybe we have a new offer for you. Maybe there will be a percentage reduction on your purse. It’s nothing personal, it’s business.'”
Hearn now says he won't be asking either fighter to take a cut in their purse for the fight in August. "We wrote to Lou DiBella and confirmed the new date for August. And the good news for Amanda Serrano is she gets her full purse – the full whack.”
Iron Mike Reacts To Jamie Foxx’s Casting Of Tyson In Upcoming Biopic
The life and times of ‘the Baddest Man on the Planet’ Mike Tyson is tailor-made for the big screen and now, with the casting of Jamie Foxx as its leading man, the most bonkers boxing biopic out there is finally on its way.
In an interview with Charlie Mack on Instagram Live, the former heavyweight king said that he believes Foxx would do a “great job” of portraying him but warned the actor that it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience.
“I’m gonna sit down and tell him the truth and he’s gonna have to learn to process that.”
Tyson continued, “It’s not going to be pretty.”
Tyson Fury On Third Wilder Fight And Dillian Whyte’s WBC Mandatory
This week Tyson Fury claimed that when he meets Deontay Wilder in the ring for a third time, he will be sticking with the same team that helped him beat the American in February in their second meeting.
Kronk Gym disciples Sugar Hill and Andy Lee will both remain in Fury’s corner but the current WBC king has also added that if Wilder fires current trainer Mark Breland, whom Wilder blamed for his first professional defeat, then he would be welcomed to Team Tyson, too. Talk about sticking the knife in!
Elsewhere, Fury also addressed the Dillian Whyte situation, the Brixton heavyweight having been mandatory for Fury’s WBC strap for over 1,000 days now. Speaking to iFLTV, Fury said:
"Dillian Whyte is gonna get his shot. Whenever it is, I don't know. Nobody knew what was gonna happen with coronavirus. If everything else has been frozen, surely his mandatory has to be frozen too? It probably will have to be put back a year to catch up."
New Date For Daniel Dubois Vs Joe Joyce
Fight fans will have to wait a little while longer for the much-anticipated Battle of Britain clash between heavyweights Daniel ‘DDD’ Dubois and Joe 'Juggernaut’ Joyce for the European and British titles, with the bout now being rescheduled for Autumn.
Dubois and Joyce were originally scheduled to fight on July 11 but the coronavirus pandemic forced organisers to change the date to October 24 at the 02 Arena in London.
Of the new date, Joyce said: "It was great news to get the new date so I can finally punch up Dubois.
"Now gyms are open for athletes I can kick on and just keep my focus on the new date, finally settling the score with Dubois and moving on to a world title fight."
Oscar De La Hoya Warns Of Boxing Return At 47
Six-weight world champion Oscar De La Hoya has said he’s willing to make a return to the ring at the age of 47, but says he will see how Mike Tyson’s boxing comeback goes first before he makes the commitment.
De La Hoya, who retired in 2008 after being defeated by Manny Pacquiao, told RingTV: "I actually want to see what Tyson does first. I have been working out, I have been training and I have been staying in shape.
"Obviously, I’m not in fighting shape, yet, to go 12 rounds, but I’m sure I can get there. We’ll see.
"I want to see Tyson perform, how his reflexes are, see if he can go past three, four rounds. Then I’ll make my decision."
When asked who he’d like to fight, De La Hoya responded: "It doesn't matter [who]. Anybody who is the best out there. I still have that mentality."