Conor Benn’s clash with Adrian Granados is off, Canelo is looking to step back up in weight and Luke Campbell has called time on his career. Here are five boxing stories you might have missed this week.
Conor Benn Tests Positive For COVID, Out Of Fight Camp
Conor Benn’s fight against Adrian Grandos at this weekend’s Matchroom Fight Camp has been called off after the boxer tested positive for coronavirus.
The 24-year-old had been scheduled to headline the card at Matchroom's Brentwood HQ with a defence of his WBA continental welterweight title against the Brazilian, instead WBA “regular” champion featherweight Xu Can will defend his strap for the third time, facing off against British challenger Leigh Wood.
"Conor Benn is in good spirits. He feels well," said Benn's promoter Eddie Hearn.
"Of course, he'll obey the isolation rules and reset and reschedule his fight. We'll make further announcements on that very soon.”
Dmitry Bivol Set To Be Canelo’s Next Fight
Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez's team have contacted WBA light-heavyweight Dmitry Bivol about a world title fight after plans for the Mexican's undisputed clash with Caleb Plant fell apart, the Russian’s promoter has confirmed.
Andrey Ryabinskiy, President of World of Boxing, told Sky Sports. "The fight has been mentioned to us, but we have not finalised any type of agreement.
"We would be interested in the fight within adequate timelines, it's a great test for Dmitry."
Canelo had been expected to put his WBC, WBA and WBO super-middleweight belts on the line against IBF title holder Plant in a mouthwatering super-middleweight unification clash in September but those plans fell through.
Luke Campbell Announces Retirement
London 2012 gold medalist and two-time lightweight world title challenger Luke Campbell has called time on his career in the ring.
The Hull native has retired at the age of 33 having compiled a professional record of 20 wins and four defeats since switching to the paid ranks after that Olympic Games success nine years ago.
Campbell fell just short of world honours when losing a split decision to WBA lightweight champion Jorge Linares in California in 2017 and then against Vasily Lomachenko in 2019, losing by an 11th round KO despite an admirable effort.
In a statement, he said: "After a lot of thought and reflection, I have decided that now is the right time to hang-up my gloves and retire from boxing.
"As soon as I first stepped into St. Paul's Amateur Boxing Club in Hull, my dream was always to win the Olympics. By winning gold at London 2012, in front of home support and my family, I had in many ways already achieved my hopes and aspirations in the sport before my professional career even started.
"So, while for many turning pro is where it all begins, for me it was more of a bonus and what a bonus it turned out to be, achieving more than I ever expected and giving me memor
"From making my debut at Craven Park, to fighting at Wembley, beating domestic rivals, competing against pound-for-pound stars in America and here in the UK, headlining pay-per-views and always willing to take on anybody, it's been an incredible ride."
Josh Taylor Vs Jack Catterall Heading For November
Undisputed light welterweight champion Josh Taylor will be making a defense on November 20th or 27th against his WBO mandatory Jack Catterall in a huge homecoming event in Scotland, according to his promoter Bob Arum
“We had to sign a document, all of us, that whoever won (Taylor-Ramirez) would fight Catterall,” Arum told World Boxing News.
“It’s going to happen in November. It will be carried live on Sky and in the afternoon in the United States, and there will be a good, solid undercard with it. There’s a natural rivalry with a Scot against a Brit.
“We have it approved by ESPN and Sky, but we have to get (a venue) that fits that date, but it will be at the end of November, either the 20th or the 27th.”
Dillian Whyte To Return On September 11
Eddie Hearn has said that WBC interim heavyweight champion Dillian Whyte still intends to fight in America for his next fight and that he could be in action as soon as September 11.
‘The Body Snatcher’ is expected to fight Michigan’s undefeated Jermaine Franklin. The show may also feature Hiroto Kyoguchi vs. Elwin Soto and Murodjon Akhmadaliev vs. Ronny Rios, which were previously expected to land on an August 28th Los Angeles card.
Whyte was last in action in March, beating Alexander Povetkin by knockout in their rematch in Gibraltar.