Scotland Stun England 25-13 In Sensational Six Nations Clash At Murrayfield

Scotland Stun England 25-13 In Sensational Six Nations Clash At Murrayfield
18:46, 24 Feb 2018

Scotland have notched one of the biggest Six Nations upsets in recent memory with a brilliant 25-13 victory over England in Edinburgh.

Under Eddie Jones England have amazing won 24 out of 25 Tests, with just one defeat to Ireland, since his appointment in 2016. They have won back-to-back European titles and risen to second in the world, leaving opponent after opponent in their wake.

But Scotland have ended that winning streak with a stunning, well-deserved win at Murrayfield. Their defence was epic, their attack awesome and their spirit sensational as they repelled wave after wave of English charges.

It was a bright start for Scotland, earning a penalty after just one minute. Greig Laidlaw kicked it for an early 3-0 lead. The Scots kept frustrating England with their stiff tackling and sterling work at the breakdown. In the 13th minute Owen Farrell evened it up with his own penalty goal.

The home team took the lead straight after a Finn Russell grubber kick. England’s rearguard fumbled it and Huw Jones pounced it on for a try right under the sticks. Laidlaw converted to make it 10-3. The see-sawing nature of the contest continued as Scotland were penalised from the kick-off. Farrell cut the lead to 10-6.

England were kicking away a lot of possession, which was inviting Scotland to counter-attack. With nine minutes left Gregor Townsend’s team struck again with another try. A fantastic pass from the classy Russell put Jones in space. They capitalized on the break, swung the ball left and Sean Maitland touched down in the corner after Russell put him in. The Edinburgh crowd were stunned at the turn of events.

England were losing their cool and giving away lots of cheap penalties. Scotland were taking it to them and Jones starred again. On 37 minutes the impressive centre broke through 40 metres from England’s line and took two defenders over the line with him. It was one of the best tries Murrayfield has witnessed in years.

Scotland went into half-time 22-6 ahead and buoyant. After 40 minutes England had missed 13 tackles and had only gained 133 metres with ball in hand, compared to the Scots’ herculean 327. The visitors were shell-shocked and had it all to do in the second half.

England started with intensity after the interval but Scotland’s counter-rucking was outstanding. Again and again they foiled English attacks at the key moment. But three minutes in Farrell struck back, slicing through a big gap to score. He converted his own try to make it 22-13.

Ten minutes later the centre grabbed almost his second try of the evening. He hacked through a dropped ball, Anthony Watson kicked it again and Farrell won the footrace to touch the ball down. But the score was chalked off by the video referee, much to the delight of the Scottish fans.

As the minutes wore away both teams emptied their benches. In the 65th minute Sam Underhill was penalised for a shoulder charge and sin-binned. The penalty goal took Scotland to a 25-13 lead. From here victory seemed assured, barring a white shirt miracle.

Scotland’s pilfering at the breakdown was world-class. England gave up six penalties in the ruck area in the second half alone. Scotland would just not be bowed, not be beaten. They put their heart and soul into the game and were recorded with a historic win.

Scotland won the Calcutta Cup for the first time in 10 years and the chase for the Six Nations trophy is now wide open.

Sporting Calendar