From highly-anticipated rematches to generous gestures, here’s your round up of five of the week’s boxing stories that you might have missed...
Katie Taylor’s Attention Turns To Delfine Persoon Rematch
Katie Taylor, the undisputed lightweight champion, is set for a rematch with Delfine Persoon and they will meet once again on 22 August on the undercard of Dillian Whyte’s heavyweight showdown with Alexander Povetkin at the Matchroom Boxing HQ.
Taylor earned a highly-controversial points win over Persoon in a thrilling contest last July, handing the Belgian just the second defeat of her 45-fight career, although many onlookers believed that Persoon had done enough to have her arms raised instead.
Speaking on a Matchroom press release, promoter Eddie Hearn said, “Since their epic Fight of the Year contender at MSG last year, everyone has wanted to see this once again and now we have it. I’m very proud to stage this fight especially at such a critical time for our sport - along with Whyte vs. Povetkin August 22 will be one not to forget.”
“I've been looking forward to a rematch ever since the first fight and I'm delighted it's been made. It was definitely very close first time around, but I felt I deserved the win and I intend to leave no doubts in the rematch," Taylor added.
Dillian Whyte Splits With Trainer Ahead Of Povetkin Test
Speaking of Dillian Whyte’s heavyweight clash with Alexander Povetkin in August, the Brixton-fighter has split with his trainer Mark Tibbs ahead of the PPV behind-closed-doors bout at Matchroom Boxing’s headquarters.
Tibbs has been in Whyte’s corner for four years and since his only career defeat to Anthony Joshua back in 2015, he has overseen 11 consecutive wins for ‘the Body Snatcher.’
Speaking on Instagram, Whyte said: "I'm training in Portugal, Mark has a young family and his own new gym in the UK,
"As it stands it just hasn't worked out in the way we both hoped it would."
Whyte added: "Mark came into my team four years ago and has helped me turn into the world class fighter I am today. Mark is a great trainer and I will always be grateful to him and his dad for all they have done."
Prince Naseem Hamed’s Sons Training At Ingle Gym
[📽️ Aadam Hamed]
Back as a kid in the 1980s, Prince Naseem famously learned the dark trade of prizefighting under the guidance of Brendan Ingle at the Ingle Gym in Sheffield, a relationship that is as synonymous to British boxing as Frank Bruno’s friendship with Harry Carpenter.
In 1997, the relationship soured and Prince finished his career elsewhere but now it looks like the Hamed and Ingle name could link-up once again with Naz’s sons, Samir and Aadam, spending the week training at the Ingle Gym.
Last week, Aadam, 20, a once promising tennis player, signalled his intentions to turn pro and looks to follow in his father’s footsteps.
Frank Warren, who promoted Prince Naseem in his heyday, said: "If he has his old man's ability, then he should be OK.
"I hope it is. He's a nice lad. I spoke to Naz and I hope he does [repeat history].”
Daniel Dubois And Joe Joyce To Hold Warm-Up Fights Before Facing Each Other
British heavyweights Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce will both compete in a warm-up fight each before their own Great British bust-up set for 02 Arena on October 24.
Coronavirus has played havoc with the bout so far, having already pushed back a scheduled meeting between the pair twice, but the new October date has been a boost for fight fans with a chance the fight won’t be held behind-closed-doors.
Until then, the fighters need to keep themselves busy and each will be involved in separate contests at the BT Sports studio in Stratford in the coming weeks.
Speaking about the news, promoter Frank Warren said: “Daniel and Joe returning is obviously huge, headline news and scheduling these fights reflect our growing confidence that Daniel and Joe will be able to finally square off on October 24th.
"I spoke to both teams and they both said that as it looks like we’re going to finally do this in October, they’d like tune-up fights first. Thankfully, BT liked the idea and here we are.”
Tyson Fury’s Generous Gesture To Former Cut-Man
When Tyson Fury suffered the worst cut of his career against Otto Wallin last year in Las Vegas, Eddie Hearn claimed that it was so bad that anywhere else in the world the fight would have been stopped.
If it wasn’t for the work of his cut-man Jorge Capetillo that night, who did an incredible job at stemming the tide of blood pouring from his face, then maybe the fight would have been stopped - and Fury certainly hasn’t forgotten the work his cornerman did that night.
"He is still very grateful," Capetillo told Sky Sports. "When he knew we were locked down because of Covid-19 and my gym was closed, he texted me and said: 'Is there anything I can do to help?'
"He is still taking care of me. He sent me money.
"I was supposed to be with Jessie Vargas in New York on March 14 but the fight was cancelled and I came home with empty pockets. I was scared, I didn't know what to do.
"He knew Jessie's fight was cancelled. He asked about my family and what he could do. He said: 'I'll sort out some money for your family so you can be good'.
"Such generosity for me and my family.”