There’s rarely a dull week in boxing and the last seven days have been no different. We’ve seen Tyson Fury call out pretty much the entire world, more news ahead of a potential showdown between Callum Smith and Artur Beterbiev this summer, and some big changes in the camp of Ryan Garcia.
Here are five boxing stories you might have missed this week.
Tyson Fury Takes Aim At Everyone In Social Media Tirade
Tyson Fury is certainly no stranger to frenzied social media posts, but even for the WBC heavyweight champion, the past 24 hours have been unusually prolific.
The Gypsy King has taken aim at his heavyweight rivals as he searches for his next opponent, and even found time to blast “bald-headed midget” Joe Rogan alongside UFC stars Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou.
In a series of tirades, Fury challenged his promoter Frank Warren to get him a summer fight which resulted in a number of names putting their name in the hat, including the aforementioned Ngannou, Zhilei Zhang, Michael Hunter, Martin Bakole and Frank Sanchez.
Other targets of Fury’s ire were unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk, his manager Alex Krassyuk, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum and Andy Ruiz Jr, who he claims demanded $20m to fight him.
His ‘beef’ with Rogan stems from claims that the podcaster made on his show, the Joe Rogan Experience, that he’d back Jones to beat Fury in a scrap.
Fury responded: “I heard Joe Rogan say something about me. I’ve been off all the social media and didn’t reply to that little bald-headed m*****.
“I heard him say that Jon Jones could f*** me up if we were in the room together. I don’t think so. Not a man born from a mother could f*** me up in a room, on our own.”
Jones himself replied to the video, saying: “Hey Tyson, it seems like Joe may have struck a nerve.
“I’ll admit there’s no one touching you in that ring right now, but let’s not let that confuse you with what would happen if you stepped foot in my cage.
“If you ever want to put some of those questions you got going on to rest, call Dana [White]. I’ll help you out.”
Artur Beterbiev vs Callum Smith Will Happen in August, Says Bob Arum
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says Artur Beterbiev could defend his IBF, WBC and WBO light heavyweight world titles against Callum Smith in Quebec, Canada in August.
The WBC had already ordered the fight and, speaking to Pro Box TV, Arum stated: “That’s going to be in Quebec in early August. We have a beautiful arena we’re putting it in in Quebec – we’ve already got secured the arena – we’re ready to go, we’re sending out all the papers. I don’t know exactly what the date is.
“We’re going to do it on ESPN. All of these light heavyweights who can crack are dangerous. Beterbiev punches like a mule, so the only way you can beat him is if he’s fighting a guy with equal power. Can Smith hurt him? I don’t know. We’ll see.”
Ryan Garcia Names New Trainer
Having parted ways with Dan Goosen following his defeat to Gervonta Davis last month, the first of his professional career, Ryan Garcia has officially decided to name Derrick James as his new trainer.
Garcia will be joining a stable full of top talent, with James guiding the likes of unified welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr, undisputed super welterweight king Jermell Charlo and former unified heavyweight world champion Anthony Joshua.
“New beginnings,” wrote Garcia on Instagram. “Thank you to @derri[email protected] for allowing me to join the team.”
Frazer Clarke Set To Fight Mariusz Wach In Heavyweight Clash
British heavyweight Frazer Clarke will take on former world title challenger Mariusz Wach at London’s York Hall on June 16.
Many had hoped that Clarke would take on British heavyweight champion Fabio Wardley next but it looks like that fight will be put on the backburner for now, with Clarke opting to take on experienced veteran Wach who has shared the ring with the likes of Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin.
“I’m glad that we’re finally able to announce this fight and let people see the kind of challenges I’m looking for. Mariusz Wach is a very tough opponent, his record speaks for itself - look at the names he’s been in there with and the kind of fights he’s had with them. So I hope it’s clear to everyone now that Frazer Clarke isn’t afraid of anyone,” said the former Olympian.
“I’m in this game to be world champion and the pathway has always been carefully planned. A lot has been said about me lately but people don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. Myself and my promoter Ben Shalom are on the same page and we’re executing the plan step by step. I expect to have the British heavyweight championship belt round my waist by the end of the year - but first I have to handle Mariusz Wach.”
George Kambosos Jr Signs Multi-Fight Deal With Top Rank
Former unified lightweight champion George Kambosos Jr has signed a multi-fight co-promotional deal with Top Rank to work alongside DiBella Entertainment and Ferocious Promotions for future bouts.
The Australian, who is set to announce his next opponent following back-to-back defeats to Devin Haney, said: “I am extremely excited to extend and sign a multi-fight co-promotional agreement with my longtime promoter, DiBella Entertainment, and my new co-promoter, Top Rank.
“This is a very exciting time in my career having the backing, support and guidance from two powerhouse American promoters, as I begin my journey back to the championship. I would like to thank my co-promoters, Lou DiBella and Bob Arum, and my manager, Jim Kambosos, for getting this multi-fight deal done. ‘Ferocious’ is back to reclaim glory and give the great boxing fans the best fights against the best fighters in the world.”
“George Kambosos Jr is an exciting fighter and an engaging personality who will continue to make great fights in the lightweight division. We are thrilled that he has signed a co-promotional agreement with Top Rank,” said Bob Arum.
*18+ | BeGambleAware