Real Madrid Boss Makes Suprising Claim Over January Transfer Strategy
Real Madrid boss Santiago Solari has done nothing to dispel rumours that he's merely a stop-gap boss till the end of the season.
At today's press conference, he told reporters that he would have no say in the club's transfer dealings this winter. It calls into question his input at the top level on a day when Real Madrid were linked again with a January move for Manchester United's misfit forward Alexis Sanchez.
When Solari was appointed in place of Julen Lopetegui earlier in the season, the feeling from Spain was that this was only going to be a temporary arrangement. Former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte looked a shoo-in for the job at the time while there were strong reports of former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger taking over at the Bernabeu. But to Solari's credit, his record has been pretty strong with six wins from seven.
When he was asked about possible transfer comings and goings in January, Solari was tellingly non-committal.
"I don't know about this issue, as winter signings aren't my area," he said. "There are 24 players in the squad, plus those who are at Castilla. I see that they all have desire and motivation.
"This Thursday is a holiday and lots of people will come along to the match, we want to see several different players on the pitch."
When asked about the future of Isco, Solari was again diplomatically vague.
"I'm not on social media and didn't see Isco's photo," he said. "Players need to give the best of themselves to be available and to then do the best possible. Then there are choices and different periods of form, all of this exists.
"The job of the coach is to try to pick well and avoid mistakes."