Eleven-time world titlist and six-weight world champion Oscar De La Hoya has confirmed that on July 3 he is returning to the ring at the age of 48, with a fight against a “big name” UFC star believed to be in the works.
De La Hoya made an appearance during Friday night’s Triller event promoting the upcoming bout between YouTuber Jake Paul and MMA star Ben Askren in April. De La Hoya took to the stage and announced to rapper Snoop Dogg, “On 3 July, I'm making a fight comeback.” He then dropped his mic and left the stage.
The pound-for-pound great has been weighing up a return to the ring for some time now, and after Mike Tyson’s similar comeback against fellow great Roy Jones Jr last November, he stated how Tyson had “inspired the hell out of” him.
As for an opponent, De La Hoya had previously called out two-time middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, whom he called “an easy fight” and Floyd Mayweather, who beat him when they met in a superfight, which grossed $136m in PPV revenue, in 2007. However, Triller CEO Ryan Kavanaugh told ESPN that they’re targeting a “big” UFC name instead.
Kavanaugh also revealed that the event will happen in Texas, adding that it could happen at the AT&T Stadium, the same venue where Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders are set to face off in April.
De La Hoya, who set up Golden Boy Promotions in 2002, hasn’t fought since his TKO defeat to Manny Pacquiao in 2008.
He’s not the only former boxing great expected to lace up a pair of gloves this year, with Mike Tyson expected to meet Evander Holyfield for a third time, 24 years after they last fought in the infamous ‘Bite Fight,’ in May.
Speaking on Instagram Live, Tyson said, “I just want everybody to know the fight is on with me and Holyfield. Holyfield’s a humble man. I know that and he’s a man of God, but I’m God’s man. Listen, I’m going to be successful May 29.”