Wilder vs Parker On The Table For September? Five Boxing Stories You Might Have Missed

It's been another busy week in the world of boxing
08:35, 01 Jul 2022

From heavyweight returns to retiring legends, and whatever’s going on between Tommy Fury and Jake Paul, here are five boxing stories you might have missed this week. 

Deontay Wilder Targeted For Joseph Parker’s Next Fight

Former WBO heavyweight world champion Joseph Parker will return at the end of September and Deontay Wilder could be targeted, according to his promoter Ben Shalom.

The Kiwi had been in line to face Joe Joyce, who takes on Christian Hammer at Wembley this weekend, but the fight was pushed back to a later date. Parker is still intent on facing the Juggernaut, but will return to the ring in September regardless of opponent.

READ MORE:

"It was the first fight Joseph Parker wanted to make, he wanted to make it clear he wasn't ducking Joe Joyce," Shalom told Sky Sports.

"It's been well documented we'd love that fight and we hope that still might happen.

"If it's not going to happen, that was number one, we're looking at everything. We're looking at [Otto] Wallin, we're looking at [Jermaine] Franklin, we're even looking at [Deontay] Wilder now he's back in the mix and perhaps the Dillian Whyte rematch.

"The great thing about Joseph is he wants the big fights and he'll be fighting at the end of September."

PA 32232002

Mikey Garcia Retires From Boxing At Age Of 34

Former-four weight world champion Mikey Garcia has hung up his gloves at the age of 34, following a glittering career in the ring. 

The American captured world titles at featherweight, super featherweight, lightweight and super lightweight and retires with a 40-2 (30) professional record that saw him beat the likes of Orlando Salido, Adrien Broner, Juan Manuel Lopez and Robert Easter Jr.

In 2019, Garcia valiantly attempted to become a five-weight champ when he challenged Errol Spence Jr. at welterweight, but it proved to be a bridge too far and Garcia was widely outpointed. The Californian remained at 147lbs for the final two fights of his career, scoring a unanimous-decision victory over Jessie Vargas in 2020 before losing in an Upset of the Year contender to Sandor Martin by unanimous decision last October.

Garcia’s retirement announcement might have gone under the radar for many, with the boxer simply changing his Instagram bio to “Retired World Champ.”

Billam-Smith To Defend European/Commonwealth Titles vs Isaac Chamberlain

European and Commonwealth cruiserweight champion Chris Billam-Smith will defend his titles against Isaac Chamberlain in his hometown at the Bournemouth International Centre on July 30.

"I'm coming home," said Billam-Smith. "I'm so delighted to be fighting back at home in front of my friends, family and supporters.

"Atmosphere is why I got into boxing and on July 30 the atmosphere is going to be electrifying. As I always said, it doesn't matter who is in the other corner, I just want to fight back at home. In front of a home crowd, I always perform.”

Both men have only tasted defeat once in their respective pro careers. Billiam Smith impressed in his last outing, successfully defending his straps against Tommy McCarthy in a hard-fought rematch at the Manchester Arena in April. 

SM News Jake Pauljpgjpgjpg

Jake Paul Ends Interest In A Tommy Fury Fight

Following issues around Tommy Fury entering the US, Jake Paul has now moved away from pursuing a fight with the British light-heavyweight.

"Tommy Fury is in hiding. Bitch made. Instructed my team to do a Hova and move On To The Next One," the Problem Child wrote on Twitter.

The pair were scheduled to meet in December last year before Fury pulled out with a bacterial chest infection. Last week, it looked like the battle between the younger brother of WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury and YouTuber was finally set to go ahead on August 6th at Madison Square Garden, with Amanda Serrano also in action, but Tommy Fury’s issues getting into the States stalled the fight once again. Jake Paul said he would fight in the UK for $15million, but it seems that any meeting between him and Fury is now dead in the water. 

“Update: We’ve spoken to Tommy Fury’s lawyers,” Paul said in a video earlier this week. “They are all advising him to just go to the embassy to get his visa. 

“That’s all he has to do, but Tommy is showing no urgency. He hasn’t gone yet, he’s not communicating with us on what he’s doing. Is this just another case of ‘Tommy Fumbles’ just being scared to fight me? I think that’s what it is. I think the Fury family is trying to manipulate something here to make me fight in the UK.

“Okay, you want me to fight in the UK? Show me $15m, because here in America we do more pay-per-view buys, we do more ticket sales, and we do more sponsorship. I’ve shown you the money, we’re ready to go – MSG, 6 August. 

“Tommy, you’re gonna miss out on the biggest payday of your life, because you want me to come to the UK? Like I said, I’ll come there. Just show me the money, but y’all can’t do that; y’all don’t have $15m."

SM News Mayweather McGregor IIjpgjpg

Dana White Shoots Down Potential Mayweather/McGregor Rematch

UFC President Dana White has shot down the possibility of a rematch between MMA superstar Conor McGregor and 50-0 boxing legend Floyd Mayweather.

The pair met in a highly-lucrative bout back in 2017, which Mayweather won via tenth round stoppage and earlier this week, there was plenty of talk regarding a second meeting five years after their blockbuster bout in Las Vegas.

Multiple reports suggested that both parties were in talks regarding a rematch, with 'Notorious' then seemingly confirming the rumour by posting a picture from the original fight on his Instagram account with the caption ‘I accept.’

However, White has stated that the fight is not on the table and claims that McGregor will be back in the Octagon soon. When asked about the rematch on The Jim Rome Show, White denied the UFC were trying to make the fight, stating: “Not me, I’m not talking about that. [McGregor’s return] will be in the cage. Conor’s looking to come back the end of this year, early next year.”

“When I do talk to Conor, Conor wants to fight,” White added. “Conor gets all kinds of offers for movie roles and all these other things that he could go and do and make money. He doesn’t want to do any of that. Conor wants to fight.

“When he fights, he gets paid. Fighting is what he wants to do.”

Betfred's Joe Joyce vs Christian Hammer Fight Odds*

*18+ | BeGambleAware

x
Suggested Searches:
The Sportsman
Manchester United
Liverpool
Manchester City
Premier League
Sportsman HQ
72-76 Cross St
Manchester M2 4JG
We will not ask you to provide any personal information when using The Sportsman website. You may see advertisement banners on the site, and if you choose to visit those websites, you will accept the terms and conditions and privacy policy applicable to those websites. The link below directs you to our Group Privacy Policy, and our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email at: DataProtection@Betfred.com

All original material is Copyright © 2019 by The Sportsman Communications Ltd.
Other material is copyright their respective owners.