Joe Joyce To Face Carlos Takam In July, Five Boxing Stories You Might Have Missed

It's been another busy week in the world of boxing
11:04, 18 Jun 2021

Awkward face offs, heavyweight showdowns and another important step for the advancement of women’s boxing. Here are five boxing stories you might have missed this week...

World Boxing Super Series Launches First Ever Women’s Tournament

For the first time, the World Boxing Super Series has set up a women’s tournament to allow female fighters to duke it out for the prestigious Muhammad Ali trophy, following in the footsteps of previous winners like Oleksandr Usyk, Josh Taylor, Callum Smith and Naoya Inoue.

No participants have been announced yet but the tournament will take place in the super-featherweight division.

Promoter Kalle Sauerland said, "It's been something we have talked about since our inauguration and it gives me great, great pleasure - and us great pleasure at the World Boxing Super Series to announce Season III; the women, the super-featherweights.

"The sport is an amazing place. Competition is hotter than ever. The super-featherweights we feel is a division that has such depth and also allows those in the divisions around it to take part. We feel that this is the time, the right time, women's boxing has never been this good. We are looking forward to a spectacular season."

 

Joe Joyce Vs Carlos Takam Announced For July

Carlos Takam
Carlos Takam

British heavyweight Joe ‘The Juggernaut’ Joyce will aim to extend his unbeaten record to 13 fights when he takes on Carlos Takam at the SSE Arena in Wembley on July 24.

Joyce had been in line to fight Usyk when the undisputed showdown between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua was still set to go ahead but with that fight falling through and AJ set to honour is WBO mandatory against the Ukrainian instead, while Fury faces Deontay Wilder for a third time, Joyce will now take on Takam.

Cameroon-born Takam, 40, is something of a grizzled veteran in the heavyweight division, and even gave Joshua a tough night at the office before succumbing to a TKO in 2017. Although he’s at the twilight of his career, he will certainly offer Joyce a substantial challenge.

Tyson Fury And Deontay Wilder Engage In Five Minute Face Off 

Speaking of Tyson Fury, ‘the Gypsy King’ engaged in a bizarre press conference with bitter foe Deontay Wilder earlier this week as the two gear up for a third fight.

Fury entered the press conference in usual bombastic fashion, with his shirt off of course, while Wilder elected to enter the press conference with headphones on, his head down, and said very little. It culminated in what will likely go down as one of the most intense face offs in boxing history, with the pair embarking on a staring contest that would last more than five minutes before the American relented. 

Speaking at the conference Fury said, "I've been living rent free in Wilder's head. He got smashed to pieces and, for some reason, wants it again. The big dosser is getting knocked spark out."

 

Teofimo Lopez Vs George Kambosos Jr Postponed

GettyImages 1280838932 Copyjpg

Unified lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez’s title defence against George Kambosos Jr, scheduled for Miami this Saturday, has been postponed until August 14 after the Brooklyn-fighter tested positive for Covid-19.

Lopez told ESPN he tested positive on Tuesday morning in Las Vegas before his scheduled flight to Florida for fight week. He decided to remain in town rather than travel. Lopez said he's running a high fever, has had trouble breathing and that his asthma makes dealing with Covid-19 more difficult. He added that the decision to postpone the fight was difficult but he could not recover in time for Saturday.

Speaking on Twitter, the 23-year-old said, “I am devastated to disappoint so many people. I know the sacrifices we have all made to get here. I believe I am doing the right thing. I don’t want to infect anybody. 

“Sport has power. I choose to use my power to be a good example.”

Matchroom Fight Camp Line-Up Announced

Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing have announced the return of Fight Camp this summer with Conor Benn headlining the opening week on July 31st against experienced Mexican Adrian Granados.

Kid Galahad and ‘Jazza’ Dickens will rematch to top another stacked bill in week two, before Joshua Buatsi moves up in levels once again with a difficult fight against the in-form Ricards Bolotniks to end the three-week boxing extravaganza.

“I’m confident in my ability,” Benn said. “People didn’t believe me when I said I’d knock Vargas out in one round, I don’t see this fight going past six.”

x
Suggested Searches:
Manchester United
Liverpool
Manchester City
Marcus Rashford
Premier League
Sportsman HQ
2nd Floor Queens House
St Lincoln Square
Manchester M2 5HT
0161 507 9888 (8am - 10pm)
editorial@thesportsman.com
We will not ask you to provide any personal information when using The Sportsman website. You may see advertisement banners on the site, and if you choose to visit those websites, you will accept the terms and conditions and privacy policy applicable to those websites. The link below directs you to our Group Privacy Policy, and our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email at: DataProtection@Betfred.com

All original material is Copyright © 2019 by The Sportsman Communications Ltd.
Other material is copyright their respective owners.